Tregenna Castle Resort blog
Going Tregreener – The Decarbonisation Project
New Developments at Tregenna
Our goal is to be as eco-friendly as possible, and preserve the planet for future generations. Over the last few years, we’ve been making big changes and have introduced new initiatives across the Resort to reach our carbon zero goals. Our hard work is paying off and we are awarded with the Gold Green Tourism Award for our continued commitment to sustainability.
This year, we are investing over £1 million in combatting the energy crisis and ensuring a greener future. This project is currently underway with stage 1 complete. The first stage was to install a 250 KW Solar Farm. This was successfully installed and completed on 2 May 2023.
The CHP turbine will produce electricity at the same time as producing heat. The turbine will only be utilised at times of poor weather and at night-time when the solar power will not be working.
The infrastructure is being put in place so that when the technology improves, we will be able to add batteries to store the solar energy and look to change the turbine with a hydrogen replacement.
We have also taken simple steps to make sure all our lighting is LED, and that inefficient machinery is replaced.
We will continue to work hard towards becoming more sustainable and carbon zero in the future.
What we are doing to be more sustainable...
As part of our commitment to sustainability, we have promised to:
- Communicate and display our environmental policy to all interested parties, including staff, guests, suppliers, contractors, appropriate authorities, local communities, and other organisations
- Source local produce within Cornwall
- Support local social community projects
- Continually improve our environmental performance in relation to its activities, products and services.
- For every tree removed, at least two more will be planted on the estate.
- Take all measures that are reasonably practicable to reduce waste at source
- Minimise waste by reusing and recycling furniture and soft furnishings wherever possible
- Recycle bottles, tins, cardboard, paper, copier toner, oil and strip lights
- Change plastic straws to biodegradable paper straws
- Demonstrate efficiency in the use of energy, water and natural resources through reduced consumption and the encouragement of energy efficiency throughout the business.
- Prevent pollution and comply with all applicable environmental legislation.
- Encourage visitors not to flush inappropriate items.
- Dispose of final wastes by the most environmentally suitable means
- Encourage the use of public transport and encourage car drivers to leave their cars at the estate and advertise/encourage destinations within walking distance
- Continually improve our environmental performance.
How you can play a part
We've got lots of great ways and ideas for you to help us along the way.